Dimensions Math® is a series of textbooks designed for middle school students. Developed in collaboration between Star Publishing and Singapore Math Inc®, this series follows the Singapore Mathematics Framework and covers the topics in the Common Core State Standards.
The emphasis of this series is on empowering the students to learn mathematics effectively and independently. Depending on the topics covered, different approaches are adopted for the presentation of concepts to facilitate easy understanding by students to internalize concepts and instill in them an interest to explore the topics further.
Each book includes appropriate examples, class activities and diagrams to understand the concepts and apply them. IT skills and values are incorporated as appropriate.
With this comprehensive series, we hope that students will find learning mathematics an easy and fun experience so that they will be motivated to study the subject, discover mathematical features and apply them in real-life situations.
Our special thanks to Richard Askey, Professor Emeritus (University of Wisconsin-Madison) for his indispensable advice and suggestions in the production of Dimensions Math® series.
We wish to express our sincere thanks to all those who have provided valuable feedback and great assistance in the production of this series.
The Writing Team
Above is adapted from the preface of Dimensions Math®.
Some features of this series include the following:
- Class activities which allow the student to learn mathematics through discovery. Some of the class activities make use of Geometer’s Sketchpad (available at keypress.com).
- Worked examples are followed by a similar question (Try It!) so that students can check if they have understood the concepts presented earlier.
- An exercise for each lesson including questions in the following sequence:
- Basic Practice (simple questions involving a direct application of the concepts)
- Further Practice (more challenging questions on direct application)
- Maths@Work (questions that apply mathematical concepts to real-life situations)
- Brainworks (questions involving higher order thinking or an open-ended approach to problems)
- Each chapter is followed by a review exercise; the Extend Your Learning Curve activity encourages students to explore mathematical concepts further or apply mathematics in real-life situations, with some questions requiring sentence or paragraph answers to encourage students to reflect on their learning experiences.
- The right margins contain remarks on important information, concepts or definitions covered earlier related to the current material to help students recall them, discussion questions, interesting puzzles or facts that are related to mathematics, and some website references.
The answer key at the back of the book provides answers to the Try It!
and the problems in the exercises for the Basic Practice
, Further Practice
, and Maths@Work
questions. It does not include answers to the class activities or the Extend Your Learning Curve
activities. Answers to those and any Brainworks
activities involving drawings, charts or graphs are found in the Dimensions Math® Teaching Notes and Solutions 7A.
Note: The answer key in the first printing of Textbook 7A has some errors in it. Please download the revised key from here.
Please note that not all the answers are incorrect in the first printing answer key, and incorrect answers are highlighted in this corrected answer key. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Textbook comes in both hardcover and softback versions. The contents are the same in both versions.
Dimensions Math® Series is ideal for both classroom and home use for 7th-8th grades.
Recommended for those who want a challenging Singapore Math® series from a country with a proven track record in math education. This series integrates pre-algebra, algebra, and geometry and includes some trigonometry and advanced math topics.
Teacher involvement is generally required.
Dimensions Math® textbooks comes in both hardcover and softback versions. The contents are the same in both versions.